Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using door and window molding as floor base molding

On Mar 14, 9:37*am, Mikepier wrote:
Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the
floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the
aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and windows for
the floor because they are easier to work with. My floors and walls
are not perfect, and these moldings I am using are 2 1/4" wide by
about 3/8" thick, making it easier for me to flex the moulding to
contour with the floor and wall, thus eliminating the need to caulk or
put a shoe molding.
I am close to finishing my basement and find that if I used the big
4"+ base moulding it would be difficult to work with. So far the
smaller moulding is working out great. I just wanted to know what
others think.

I'm sure someone would be happy to go on and on about matching
the scale and style of the woodwork to the scale and style of the
room it's in.

We are putting new molding in a small vestibule. None of the
stock millwork thrilled us, so we got 1 x 4 red oak, and
he's going to round over one edge for the baseboard and
both edges for the door casings. Simple, just the way
we like things. I'll stain it to harmonize with the door and
flooring.

Do what pleases you.

Cindy Hamilton