Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using door and window molding as floor base molding

On Mar 14, 9:37*am, Mikepier wrote:
Just curious has anyone used standard door and window molding for the
floor? I know at HD and Lowes they have them labeled as such in the
aisles, but I have used moulding meant for the doors and windows for
the floor because they are easier to work with. My floors and walls
are not perfect, and these moldings I am using are 2 1/4" wide by
about 3/8" thick, making it easier for me to flex the moulding to
contour with the floor and wall, thus eliminating the need to caulk or
put a shoe molding.
I am close to finishing my basement and find that if I used the big
4"+ base moulding it would be difficult to work with. So far the
smaller moulding is working out great. I just wanted to know what
others think.

There are no "rules" about it. But usually baseboard molding is
simple making it easier to clean and keep clean. Intricate molding
will colect dust and dirt more and will be harder to clean if used at
the floor level.