Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default Update: #uck'in Idiots and toxic dust :-(

On 09/03/2011 09:43, Jim K wrote:

You don't want high pressure water as it blows the dust everywhere

-
just lots of low pressure water.

Though a standard home pressure washer can be used successfully to fog
or mist (dampen) large areas effectively.....

(Mine also has an additive pipe so one could add a detergent/whatever
if that was wanted/necessary)

I (for her neighbour was busy with something else...) washed it down
today with a pressure washer, gentle suds from the soap attachment then
a wide jet, on all walls. Gave the live electrics a bit of a soaking
too, which ain't great. Swept all it to the drain and that's as far as
it goes. Threw the broom, overalls and face mask away. Bags are in the
boot to drive to the tip tomorrow. (me thinks - must sell that car...)

There is obviously going to be some residue lying on the ground both
inside and outside of the garage. No one around here rents those
cleaners so it's going to be left as is - hope it's a minor issue.

One thing in the positive, is that the garage contains a fair number of
wooden shelves that would have been good places to trap fragments of the
concrete as they pulled it down. I found a handfull, but not loads of
the broken stuff to indicate that they had completely pulverised the
original corrugated sheets.

Had a guy visit from one of the asbestos cleanup companies, who had a
brief look about (without PE) and encoraged me to clean it up - he
wasn't really looking to do it himself, or have mum pay over the odds
for possibly the same job done by his lot.

Which was jolly nice of him... (me thinks - cancel pension payments)

--
Adrian C