Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default What's the point with the little paint rollers

Jeff Thies wrote:

That works, but in general one should avoid painting from the can:
Oxygen is the enemy of paint!

Assuming latex paint, when ready to return the can of paint to
storage, follow these procedures to mitigate oxygen destruction:
1. Lay a piece of plastic over the upturned lid (cling-wrap, bit of
plastic bag, etc.).
2. Spray the plastic with PAM (original, not the garlic-flavored
model) 3. Exhale into the can three times (to displace the oxygen with
CO2)*
4. Hammer on lid with the plastic.
5. Invert can and store upside-down.

No one I know is willing to risk step 5. I wonder if spraying a bit of
PAM in the can would do the same trick.

The PAM will migrate to the top of the paint and form a thin oil
barrier against any remaining oxygen in the can.

Nice set of hints you previously posted. I was impressed with not only
them, but how many you remembered. Got a hard copy somewhere.

The presenter had a 4x7" card on each seat labeled "Tips". I wrote down the
ones that impressed me. Of course that turned out to be unnecessary as he
sold autographed copies of his book at the end of the show and I bought one
($20). It's the same book one could buy at Home Depot (for the same price).
Lotsa good t80