Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Voltage spikes

On Mar 8, 9:09*am, MM wrote:
I believe someone was recently talking about voltage spikes, though I
can't find the thread in Google Groups to hang this on. I happened to
be watching my consumption thingy this morning and noticed that it was
constant at 249 volts. Then it went up to 250 for 30 seconds, back
down to 249, then back up to 250 again. For a good five minutes it
hovered around 249-250. Then it came down to 248, then 247.

Aren't these spikes damaging to sensitive equipment? (TVs, DVD Players
etc) I don't worry about the PC because I have a UPS on it. The
voltage is ~supposed~ to be 240 in the UK.

MM

A voltage spike is 100s of volts big, and lasts for milliseconds.

240v is the target voltage, real voltage can be 10s of volts away from
this. 1v variation isn't an issue.

NT