Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Securing a Safe...

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

I'm buying a safe for personal papers and possibly some light valuables...
But God only knows what I'll be using it for 5 years from now.

It has holes in the bottom to bolt it down and I think I can get a 3/4"
thick metal plate in there too with holes in the same locations to further
beef up the bottom...

What would *you* do to properly secure a safe to the floor, wall, etc.?

I'm not to worried about someone breaching the door as I'm not keeping
super-valuables in there, but I do plan on making sure that anyone who tries
to simply run away with the safe has one heck of a hard time getting it off
the concrete floor...

I'd mark the floor through the holes, hammer drill and install Hilti
1/2-13 threaded insert anchors (or equiv), and bolt the safe down to
those with some grade 8 bolts and large washers (or your plate). Unless
your concrete is crap, those anchors have a very high pullout load
rating, so they won't be getting the safe off the floor without opening
it or using heavy equipment.