Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Wood Exterior Door Finish

On Mar 2, 4:03*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

They look sprayed; my brush work isn't that good, nor is my buddy's.
We can't figure out what he does, but his flatwork turns out like
glass.

While you and his boss are out drinking beer he hauls in a sprayer *

Damnit... I laughed so hard when I read that I almost spewed out my
iced tea!

I will be sure and pass that on to my "colleague", Bill. He'll get a
bang out of it too!

Seriously; you know how it look like you are doing the exact same
thing someone else is doing and yet you get different results? That's
me with oils. I am OK on small pieces, crown and trims, and flat
panels when using a brush. But this guy can give me a complex.
Raised six panel wood doors in a house? No problem. One Marlboro
and a 1/2 cup of coffee a door. Worse, (or at least more frustrating
to me) this guy is fast.

So one day when visiting my buddy's job site a while back, I ran into
this guy and he was cleaning brushes at around 2:00 pm. We chatted a
bit as I thought he was just changing colors or needed a quick clean.
Nope, he was going home. I was pretty dumbstruck, and thought
something was wrong at the home front. Nope, again. The rest of the
job needed to be sprayed, and that wasn't his job. He did the cab
interiors along with the rails and stiles in the kitchen and bath and
that was it. Aren't you going to spray the doors and drawers, I
asked? No he wasn't. That wasn't his job. He told me he never
"learned" the spray rig (except for an airless) and didn't understand
all the knobs and stuff on the gun. And no clue at all about
thinning, patterns, tips or anything else. He thinks being a spray
man is a subset of being a painter, but not the same thing.

Apparently he and his pals decided to spray a truck, and it was a
disaster, and an expensive one at that. After that happened, no more
sprayer. Ever. I told him I could walk him through the basics and
even had a old gun he could use to practice his skills. He wasn't
even remotely interested.

I actually think he really enjoys being the king of handwork, and if
everyone knew he couldn't spray it would be too embarrassing. So he
stays the king of what he knows. I was REALLY looking forward to
ragging on him for his lack of spray skills, but I won't ever get to
see them.

Thanks... I am *still* chuckling over here....

Robert