Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Wood Exterior Door Finish

In article ,
says...

On 2/28/11 5:21 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:

My understanding and experience is that any clear finish on wood has a
relatively short exterior life span. UV rays (direct or reflected)
degrade the wood surface through the finish, and the finish has
nothing to cling to. Additives for UV resistance may slow the damage
but it still occurs. If you can see the wood, the light is breaking
down the surface. Personally, if it is outside, I feel wood should be
painted. Life is too short to spend it refinishing doors every few
years.

FWIW, I've never seen a painted house that didn't need repainted every 5
or so years.

If it's painted fresh on new wood with good materials the paint should
last a long time. When, as is typically done, the old paint is given a
lick and a promise and then the new stuff is put on top of it, the old
continues to deteriorate.