Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_13_] SteveB[_13_] is offline

Default concrete patio

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
On 2/28/2011 3:13 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Feb 28, 1:01 pm, Jeff wrote:
One of the projects I've been considering at the rental house is a
patio. The frost line is only a few inches (Atlanta). It is a sizeable
slope and I'll need to do some terracing.

I'd like enough of a patio for a few chairs and a BBQ.

I've done patios out of brick and concrete blocks (location had a
lot
of them), and they are fun to do. I have neither at this location and am
thinking concrete. I have no shortage of people available who have
concrete skills. Roughly, I want it to look decent, but not spend a lot
of money. Labor is cheap and fast and seems to be skilled, the stucco
and landing work I had done is very good.

Should I be thinking stamped and stained or casting pavers?

Ready Mix or bagged and a mixer?

Right now I'm just trying to get a feel before I get a crew together
and stake it out.

Jeff

8 x 10 or 10 x 20, what size???

More towards 8 x10. But not rectangular. I suppose that would be about a
cubic yard. I'd like a path/steps leading to that perhaps 25' long.

The driveway could use widening. ~6' x 20'. I had thought about doing that
separately but now that I think of it...

How much trouble is it to move a CY 50'(the truck can't get there)? I
suppose this will be easier to mix on site. I can get as many people as
needed.

I've got wide latitude on this.

My dad built the house I grew up in and my brother still lives there.
When the foundation was poured he wanted the second truck to come hours
later. It didn't though and he said he was never so tired as that day!

Jeff

It's a tossup if you have other work, you want to do it all at once, and the
access to your patio is either a straight drop for the truck, or close.
They will charge for "standing time" if it takes you long to wheelbarrow it
in.

If it was ME, and it's not, I'd do the back in pavers, as you have a walkway
too, and could go a little creative on that and come up with a much nicer
look than just concrete or even stamped or textured concrete. The
driveway's just a driveway.

I'm going to finish my paver back porch, about 450 sf as soon as this damn
mud goes away ............... Do a nice cut in design in the field, and
different edgers. Get fancy with my new tile saw.

SteveB

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Download the book $10