Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Washing machine motor won't start, bad triac ?

Baron wrote:

Andre Majorel Inscribed thus:

? On 2011-02-26, Baron ? wrote:
?? Sylvia Else Inscribed thus:
??
??? I'd have to wonder whether one of the rotor windings has failed
??? open-cicuit. I think that could even account for the sparks. The
??? magnetic field for a winding that is becoming disconnected by the
??? brush action has to collapse because the broken winding that's being
??? connected cannot maintain the field.
??
?? Sounds like OC segments on the comm...
?
? The old man and I don't know enough about motors to be sure but
? we did suspect something along the same lines.

Its easy enough to test. In the old days a buzz box was used, nowadays
no one bothers ! Its far cheaper just to throw it in the scrap box and
buy a new one.

A 'Growler' was used to test the armature in a brush type motor.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.