Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Slightly odd output stage configuration. Thoughts ?

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:15:34 -0500, Wild_Bill wrote:

I haven't any background experience to make suggestions, but this
perplexing circuit you're seeing sounds a like the schematic I looked at
for the *Peavey Mace A* series (6, 6L6GC output tubes). That's sounds
like how the schematic was drawn, although I haven't see the actual
circuit layout of that model.. separate resistors were used for each
tube of one pair.. then another pair was wired direct, while the third
pair had 2 more separate resistors shown between those pairs (appearing
like the 2 resistors were wired in series between those 2 pairs).

There seem to be numerous similarities in many PV amp model schematics
of the power output sections, but then some specific oddities in a
couple of models' schematics that look out of place (to me, anyway).

One thing that I have discovered recently, is that there are a huge
number of PV amp users, and lots of forum discussions about many
modifications (some that have produced results, and some that don't) and
also repairs. You're probably already aware that many forum discussions
wrt electronic circuits can include unintentional errors and/or other
misleading info (this mod I came up with is the ultimate! for example),
so that much of the forum info needs to be pondered and then either
accepted or rejected by one's better judgement and/or experience.. and
compared to the rule: if it werks, don't **** with it.

As I've only recently started dabbling in this area, I've noticed one
thing that's prevalent.. practially every component in/on guitars and
amps have been tampered with and replaced, and the majority of reports
of the actors claim that the acts produce amazing results.

I own a 1975 PV Artist 1x15". I bought it back in the mid 80's. PV didn't
deviate much from this design in their later years. I also own a PV MX -
VTX 1x12". Again not much change as for PV the apple never seems to fall
far from the tree.

My current guitar amp config is a PV Tube Fex FX/stereo preamp into a
Studiomaster 700D. That sits on top a PV 4x12" cabinet wired in stereo.
Two stock PV 12's and two Jackson (red cone) 12's. I got the cabinet for
a song and a dance and it sounds as good as any Marshall 1960 cabinet
I've ever played through.