Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best Wood Exterior Door Finish

Leon wrote:

Which works very well over automotive paint, not wood and even with
flex agents added don't work real well as it will eventually crack. Wood
moves all the time and automotive color coat and clear coats do
best on surfaces that don't expand and contract as much as wood does.
Color coated rubber painted bumpers tend to crack in a few years if
flexed.

I have never had a bumper cover crack on me Leon, and I've painted a lot of
them. I don't use flex agents at all - not worth the time with today's
paints. They served a better purpose back in the days of lacquer. A couple
of weeks ago I hit a deer and wasted the front end of my car. The bumper
cover was torn in many places. The hood folded up just like it is designed
to do. The bumper cover paint never even cracked where it went through the
extreme flexing it underwent. The hood - well pretty good sized chunks of
clear, base and primer came free where the crinkles were - but they were big
crinkles.

I've never tried clear coat on wood, so I don't know how it would stand up
over time, but I'm not so sure I'd expect it to crack from normal movement.
It would be interesting to see. Maybe I'll shoot a stick next time I'm
shooting a car. My bigger point was that there are indeed very UV resistant
urethanes out there. My personal familiarity is with the automotive stuff,
but it would not surprise me if there weren't a similar product formulated
for wood.

--

-Mike-