Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default asbestos cement garage roof

On 26/02/2011 17:46, Tabby wrote:
On Feb 26, 5:11 pm, Invisible wrote:
On 26/02/2011 15:28, Tabby wrote:

On Feb 26, 12:18 pm, wrote:
On 25 Feb, 16:47, John wrote:

My garage roof is made of corrugated asbestos, probably "asbestos
cement". It's not leaking, but it's old. I'm getting someone in to
replace the lintel and redo a bit of brickwork above it. What's the
position? Am I right to think that if the asbestos gets broken, then
fibres get released and basically I need to hire some asbestos
professionals?

Incidentally I'll be selling the house, which is in need of various
kinds of attention. There's no confusion over the asbestos - the
garage roof is certainly made of it, although I don't know what kind.
It was mentioned on my surveyor's report when I bought it. The
asbestos will be brought to the attention of my buyer. Should I just
leave the garage alone and let the next person deal with it, or what?
After all, they'll have to do loads of other work...and the price will
reflect this.

John

When I were a lad I fell through an asbestos roof. Tore a huge hole in
the back of my thigh. While face down on the operating table I kept
complaining to the surgeon about the pain in my foot. At first he just
dismissed me but eventually put two or three stitches in the gash
across my instep just to shut me up. The cretin actually stitched a
small piece of asbestos, which was in the cut, into my foot. I had a
strange lump there for a long time until after a few years it started
to weep. Turns out gangrene had set in. Had to be cut out.

I think a lot of tosh is talked about the dangers of asbestos. The
E.S.B. (Electricity Supply Board in Ireland) knocked down de-
commissioned turf burning power stations some years ago. When asked
how they had disposed of the asbestos, with which they were stuffed,
they replied they had dumped it in a local bog. Where exactly ?
Mmmmmmmm can't remember where. Which shut the environmentalists up PDQ
as presumably the eco damage sustained by digging up a whole bog
looking for a load of asbestos would have been completely un-green.

Ironing boards had asbestos pads years ago and ISTR asbestos sheet
being used for soffits at one time also. Up until about 30 odd years
ago the majority of factories and warehouses were roofed with the
stuff Strange, never heard on any mass deaths because of that. Same
goes for lead paint. Another load of b****x talked about disposing of
it.

Just break it up into small pieces and black bag it.

Paul Mc Cann

Unfortunately there are mass deaths happening from it, the stats are
pretty horrid. But as someone said, its from a lot of exposure over
years, not the odd one off trace level exposure.

NT

One fibre can kill you but obviously if you spent your career putting in
asbestos insulation or washed overalls for someone who did you are far
more likely to contract something.

The much heard claim that one fibre can kill is baseless. Its the
result of courtroom bs. There's simply no knowledge as to what
constitutes a safe dose.

NT

Agreed nobody knows what the safe limit is. There are a lot of things
that can kill and one fibre is probably one of the least likely but
having spent over 35 years around insurance claims I wouldn't rule much out.
I live quite happily with asbestos cement soffits and garage roof and I
have broken up sheet asbestos. It's a bit like circular saws, angle
grinders etc. You take a bit of care with them but you could be dead the
first time you fall off a ladder using one.