Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Looking For Usable Multimeter - Cheap

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
I agree. I use mine all the time, but the contacts inside are
wearing out. Where would you find an inexpensive new analog
meter? Do they even make them anymore?

A half decent DVM will have a a bargraph to mimic a needle
movement.

A decent DVM won't have a bargraph to annoy you.

It's there to inform. Of course information may well annoy you. And I
consider my Fluke quite decent.

When you're at a bench with over 30 pieces of test equipment,
including four or more identical DVMs the bargraph is just more visual
noise.

Thought the question was about the spec for a basic DVM?

As regards a bargraph being 'visual noise' that's the whole point. It
draws your attention to the direction and rate of change. If you're using
'30 pieces of test equipment' at once, you can't possibly read them all
accurately at any one point in time - so a bargraph sounds to me even more
useful here.

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW