Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Strange telephone call

On 25/02/2011 21:59, Peter Scott wrote:
On 25/02/2011 18:55, MuddyMike wrote:
A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working on
behalf
of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting that our
computers
are infected with a virus that is bombarding them the internet with
spam. He
tried to convince me that our IP address had been identified by the
International Routing System and this had alerted Microsoft to call in
his
services. I led him on a bit this afternoon and he asked me to run
EVENT VWR
on my PC.
Sadly at that point the other phone rang and it was a call I was
waiting for
so had to take it.
Anyone know where this was leading? I know its a crock of ****, for one
thing we don't have a static IP address that could be traced back to my
phone number.

Mike

Listen to past episodes of The Bob Servant Emails on BBC radio 4. Object
lessons in how wind up and waste the time of spammers. If we all did it
they'd get a real job (or go into politics I guess)

Peter Scott

I have better things to do with my time. I simply say I don't take cold
calls and put the phone down.

Colin Bignell