Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default Strange telephone call

MuddyMike wrote:
A very nice Asian sounding man called Barry from Global UK working on
behalf of Microsoft! Keeps telephoning me and STWNFI insisting that
our computers are infected with a virus that is bombarding them the
internet with spam. He tried to convince me that our IP address had
been identified by the International Routing System and this had
alerted Microsoft to call in his services. I led him on a bit this
afternoon and he asked me to run EVENT VWR on my PC.
Sadly at that point the other phone rang and it was a call I was
waiting for so had to take it.
Anyone know where this was leading? I know its a crock of ****, for
one thing we don't have a static IP address that could be traced back
to my phone number.

Mike

Mike.

I had one tell me to look in the Prefetch folder and I would find hundreds
of 'infected' files there that would need 'cleaning out' - he put the phone
done when I told him that I had disabled [1] this feature in the registry
of Windows XP SP3 and that he was trying on a f****g [2] scam to get me to
let him have remote control access [3] to my computer so that he could
download some rather useless program to clear out legitimate files for a
fee - and using my debit card to pay.

[1] Yes I have done this, and no, I don't find that the computer
noticeably takes longer to load files or causes other problems.

[2] I was in a bad mood that evening as this was the third such call in
four days - they haven't rung since.

[3] This feature is also disabled on my computer and two others in the
house.

Cash