Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange telephone call

In article ,
Skipweasel writes:
In article ,
says...
How odd. I was a witness to a car accident last week. I have had 3
calls/texts already about my claim! I managed to keep one woman on the phone
for 15 minutes before she realised I was making my injuries up and was not
involved in an accident.

Did you at any point give permission for your details to be passed
around?

The information is sold by your insurance company in the first
instance, and yes, you did given them permission to do so - it's
a condition of your insurance, and it's a big earner for them.
Ironically, it ends up costing them much more in claims, but as
they pass that on to you, it's not their problem. It's grown
enormously in the last year, and is indirectly responsible for
all of the 30% average increase in motor insurance premiums over
the last year (a period during which accidents have dropped),
due to much higher payouts due to rapid increase in ambulance
chasers.

Many insurers have said this should be made illegal, because
they can't stop doing it unless everyone stops doing it.

--
Andrew Gabriel