Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Best Wood Exterior Door Finish

On 2/25/11 8:59 AM, dadiOH wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
Moved into the house 11 years ago.
Back exterior doors looked to be part of a fairly new remodel.
They are solid wood, framing a large glass panels, with what appears
to be a simple poly top coat that has been beaten by sun and rain and
almost completely gone near the bottom.
Yes, I've neglected. Something about a shoemaker's sons. :-)

I want something that will last the longest and withstand the sun and
rain.
I'm toying around with an epoxy product similar to this...
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2004140/9248/Mirror-Coat-112-Quart-Kit.aspx
http://xrl.us/bijwr4

I've seen several applications of this and similar products and they
seem to be like virtually dipping the object in plastic. The stuff
seems to be impervious to anything, including sun and water. I
wouldn't mind spending a hundred bucks on this stuff it it's going to
protect like I think it will.

Has anyone used it in an exterior application?

I've never used it but I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole (for your
potential use).

If it *is* epoxy - as opposed to polyester - then it will deteriorate
rapidly from UV unless protected. The best protection is paint. If it is
polyester, that isn't great either for what you want. I once did all the
bright work on a 42' sailboat with polyester resin thinned with styrene;
brushed on several coats, wet sanded smooth, polished with rubbing compound,
looked great. Two years later I sanded (and sanded...and sanded...and
sanded) it all off and went back to varnish.

There is NO clear coat that will last as long as paint. If you want the
wood to show, use oil or a NON-poly varnish with UV filter. Both will need
periodic maintenance, oil is the easiest, just wipe on, varnish will need
sanding first.

Thanks. I guess the general consensus is, "sorry, you're outta luck."

I don't think I want to paint... the wood still looks too nice.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--