Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default asbestos cement garage roof

On Feb 25, 4:47*pm, John Nagelson wrote:
My garage roof is made of corrugated asbestos, probably "asbestos
cement". It's not leaking, but it's old. I'm getting someone in to
replace the lintel and redo a bit of brickwork above it. What's the
position? Am I right to think that if the asbestos gets broken, then
fibres get released and basically I need to hire some asbestos
professionals?

heavens no.

Incidentally I'll be selling the house, which is in need of various
kinds of attention. There's no confusion over the asbestos - the
garage roof is certainly made of it, although I don't know what kind.
It was mentioned on my surveyor's report when I bought it.

It would be unusual for a surveyor to test any suspected asbestos.

The
asbestos will be brought to the attention of my buyer. Should I just
leave the garage alone and let the next person deal with it, or what?
After all, they'll have to do loads of other work...and the price will
reflect this.

John

If it were mine I'd dispose of the abestos myself, as whoever buys is
likely to be looking to pay someone silly money to get rid of it. It
needs to be double bagged and taken to a tip that accepts asbestos.

NT