Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Shaun Shaun is offline

Default problems with my Adcom CD player

"Tim Schwartz" wrote in message
On 2/20/2011 3:13 PM, Shaun wrote:
Hello,

I have a used ADCOM GCD-700 5 disk CD player that was given to me and it
is
overly sensitive to vibrations, bumps and slight scratches on the CDs.
I've
mounted it on vibration absorbing rubber and this has greatly impoved its
bump and vibration sensitivity, but it is still very sensitive to the
slightest mark or scratch on cds. How can I cure this.

thanks in advance,

Shaun

Shaun,

If this machine is as old as I think it is, then its not worth putting any
serious money into it. There is likely a manufacturing date on the
machine that will give the month and year it was made. Make sure if there
are any transit screws on the bottom they are removed or in the released
position.

You could try cleaning the lens and the disc platter. You'd have to open
the machine to do this. the lens is about the size of a pencil eraser,
and is on a suspension, so be gentle with it. I use a cotton swab
moistened with lens cleaning fluid, though Windex will probably do. I also
clean off the platter that the disc sits on while spinning. I've seen
enough debris build up on the platter over time that it no longer lets the
disc sit flat, and that can cause all kinds of grief. Again, a moistened
swab or slightly damp cloth is all you need to clean it.

Beyond that, you are likely to have a worn out laser, which is likely to
be more expensive to replace than the machine is worth.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

This CD player is a higher quality model and one of the only multidisk units
that uses high quality components. Mechanically it's not made very well
though, but the electronic audio stages are all class A, so it's worth my
time and some money to try to fix it.

Thanks for your reply.

Shaun