Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst[_2_] Existential Angst[_2_] is offline

Default While Iggy's talking about safes...

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"Frank J Warner" wrote in message
news:160220111908597203%warnerf@veriSPAMMERSDIEzon .net...
In article
,
rangerssuck wrote:

I thought now would be a good time to relate a story about locks.

I've always had a passing interest in locks and lock picking, but it
was just that - a passing interest. Until a few years ago when I
picked up a rental video on lock picking. Holy crap, says I, It can't
really be that easy, can it? So, I bought a cheap set of lock picks,
and took a whack at it. It really was THAT easy.

The 15 year old kid from down the street happend to stop by, and I
showed him my new-found "skill." After I spent a couple of minutes
explaining what goes on with the pins inside a lock cylinder, he
proceeded to pick my front door lock.

A long time ago, a locksmith told me, "Locks are to keep honest people
honest. If a bad guy wants to get in, he's going to get in." After my
brief experience with picking various locks, I believe him.

Anyway, I thought y'all might like the story.

Locks. Phhht! Who needs 'em?

I've lived my house for 22 years and have never once locked my front
door. I don't even know where the keys are. Not even after the major
remodel in 2004.

I have a padlock on my workshop door, but I think it's rusted open.
Don't know where that key is, either.

Went to Vegas for 5 days last month and left everything open, mainly so
the neighbor kid could come in and feed the cat twice a day. Came back,
the cat was fed, and all my stuff was still there.

It's location, actually. I live next door to a sheriff's substation.
Patrol cars coming and going at all hours of the day & night. They wave
& smile as they go by. Some of you might not be so lucky . . . .

Yeah, but you gotta watch them cops.....

Regarding locks: cheap locks are pickable, Medeco and a few others are
not.
However, choose the way you want to get robbed: you'll need to hold on to
the counter when you get them duped.

Oh, but dats nuthin compared to losing yer Toyoter Prius key: cough up $500
fer a new one....
The key for my Honder **** is $100+. Shades of Wall Street, eh???
--
EA