Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Rotted out 4" copper waste line

aemeijers wrote:
Mother Nature is being sarcastic with me. I went into basement,
looking for leaks from post-blizzard thaw currently underway.
Instead, I find puddle in furnace room (full of nasty things I won't
describe), and 2 rotted slits in the bottom center of soil line from
toilet, one on either side of the wye leading up to the flange. Slits
are very straight-edged, almost look like they were done with a
router.
I don't have the tools or the time to try to fix this myself this week
month, and my sweating skills suck anyway.

If you need a quick TEMPORARY patch, get a roll of 2" wide plumbers tape, and
spiral wrap it around the pipe very carefully so it is smooth and tight.