Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Wotta Waste - Or eco-bollox at its most ignored ... :-)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
A couple of weeks back, I had a problem with my central heating boiler,
so I called in an acquaintance who is a heating engineer. Whilst he was
working on my problem, I asked him if he replaced many boiler control
boards in the course of his daily work. I was thinking that modern ones
probably suffer a lot of bad (lead-free) joints from relay hammer and
general vibration from pumps and fans and things, and that there might
be some fairly easy money to be made by us both. He said that he
replaces loads, so I asked him what he did with the bad ones. "Throw 'em
away" he replied. Better and better, I thought, so I asked him if he
would be interested in getting them repaired. This was met with a firm
"No". I asked him why not, and he said that it wouldn't be worth his
while, because if he fitted a repaired board to a customer's boiler, and
it went wrong again a couple of weeks later, he would be left out of
pocket on the return call, and with a disgruntled customer who probably
wouldn't use him or recommend him again.

As you probably know from uk.d-i-y there is a contributor there who owns
a firm which offers exchange re-manufactured boiler PCBs and fans etc.

http://www.cetltd.com/

As I remember things, he says many of these are of poor quality in both
design and manufacture, but he is restricted by 'law' to simply repairing
them rather than modifying/improving.

Your pal seems to have an odd attitude - replacing something which has
failed prematurely by one from the same maker is the best option? ;-)

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman

Yes, I am aware of him, which is part of the reason that I thought my guy
might be interested. Part of his problem was that he felt that his customers
preferred to see a brand spanking new board come out of a box, with a shiny
new manufacturer's warranty. That way, if it too should fail, he was able to
blame the problem on the maker, and get yet another brand new one out of
them for nothing.

Arfa