Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Are all truck batteries created equal?

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 07:22:55 +0700, john B.
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:06:28 -0600, "Pete C."

On 2011-02-14, wrote:
Ignoramus9135 wrote:
My truck battery is dying, and I was wondering if there is such as
thing as a "better battery", or are they all created the same. Thnks

How old is it?

John

2-3 years old

That's just beyond the warranty period, like all of wally-marts
batteries do.

First check the voltage coming out of the alternator at a higher than
idle engine rpm.

It should be no more than 14.2 volts. If it is than that is the reason
the battery is failing.

John, it is below that, I have a voltmeter on my dash.

So, what is the word on gel cell batteries?

Gel cells have different charging requirements and will not directly
interchange into an auto environment properly. Look to AGM type
batteries for something compatible.

Err ... Actually battery manufacturers recommendations a

Lead-Acid Maximum charging voltage 2.45 - 2.7 VDC/Cell or
14.7 - 16.2 VDC/12 volt Battery

Gel-Cell Max Recommended voltage 2.35 - 2.4 or 14.1 - 14.4

AGM Max Recommended 2.35 - 2.45 of 14.1 - 14.2

My own experience is that few, if any, automobile systems will put out
a voltage high enough to be of danger to any of the three batteries
and that gel-cells, at least, can be a direct substitution for
lead-acid with no problems, and I certainly know people that installed
AGM batteries in their boats and didn't report any difficulties.

It is useful to note that the only advantage that Gel-Cell or AGM have
over lead-acid is that they don't spill if you turn them over.

Not the ONLY advantage. They also do not gas under normal charge or
discharge.

In aircraft use a "wet" battery needs to be in an enclosed and vented
battery box, while AGM and Gel batteries can just be strapped down
anywhere.
Gel and AGM batteries are not considered hazardous cargo either (which
is mostly due to not being spillable) but there are valved spill-proof
wet batteries as well - which are NOT non -hazardous.