Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Are all truck batteries created equal?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 01:58:26 -0800, Rich Grise
wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 18:10:46 -0600, Ignoramus9135

My truck battery is dying, and I was wondering if there is such as
thing as a "better battery", or are they all created the same. Thnks

They certainly are not all the same.

Interstate makes good batteries.

Surprisingly enough, I was amazed at how good Ford OEM batteries were
when we had Fords. I replaced them at age 8 just because I couldn't
believe they'd lasted that long in MN. The replacements were still
going strong when we replaced the cars at ages 14 and 15.

P.S.: I've also had good luck with Fords, contrary to "Fix Or Repair Daily"
or "For Orphans, Retards, & Dinks" or "Found On Road Dead" - these were
obviously coined by Chevy or Chrysler fans. ;-)

Keep them in oil, and they'll run forever. ("Fill up the oil and check the
gas, please." ;-) )

Admittedly, I had a slant 6 once, and they're essentially indestructible,
(had to retire the car when I rolled it) and I once had a Plymouth Gran
Fury 350 or so that finally threw the timing chain at about 250,000 miles
- I could probably have had it fixed for about a grand, but I didn't have
a thousand dollars at the time. )-;

And part of what kept the Gran Fury running was a DieHard. ;-D

Thanks!
Rich

My kid brother replaced the timing chain on a 360 Grand Fury one
friday afternoon in less than an hour. He was working for me at the
time and a car at the gas station across the street wouldn't start
after filling up with gas (at about 4PM). We pushed it across the
street into the shop, determined the chain had jumped, and the owner
asked "how long to fix it, and how much."
We told him the book time and my brother said "I think we can have you
out of here by supper time".
By the time the parts were on the counter he had it apart. My
apprentice stood there with his jaw about half way between his belt
and his knees and asked "where's that guy keep his spare set of
hands?"

It was done and back out the door before quitting time!! The customer
gladly paid the flat rate time and was home on time for supper.