Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Increasing the width of rebate in a door frame

On 13/02/2011 22:54, Tabby wrote:
On Feb 13, 10:48 pm, Roger wrote:
I am contemplating replacing my front door with a thicker one - which
would require the rebate in the frame to be made wider.

Any clues as to how best to do this in situ?

I would have thought that something involving a router (rather than an
angle grinder!g) might be appropriate - but what would be the best
way to control the width of cut? Maybe a bearing-guided cutter running
against a temporary batten or somesuch? However, a router wouldn't get
very close to the corners. How should these be tackled?

TIA.

Just lever the timber strip off, take it from there.

NT

There ain't a strip! The rebate is cut into the frame - with the
non-door side being thicker than the door side.
--
Cheers,
Roger