Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Headphone socket

In message om, brass
monkey writes

"Manticore" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
On 13/02/2011 18:12, Manticore wrote:
I have a Marshall MG30FDX guitar amp that has a suspect headphone
socket and believe me, for the sanity of my wife and our neighbours,
I _need_ the headphone socket to work! :-)

I'm not into electronics at all and don't have the necessary
equipment to de-solder the existing socket from the pcb and install
a new one, but luckily a friend of mine does, so he's going to do it
for me. As I live within walking distance of CPC, I was just going
to get one from there but it's not the sort of place where you can
go in and ask advice easily. It's more like Argos and Screwfix where
you pick stuff from a catalogue first then go to the counter with
catalogue numbers, so when I searched the website and it came back
with more than a dozen results, I'm lost. I've opened the case and it
physically looks like this one, but
switched? unswitched? I'm assuming switched because as you plug in
the headphones, it cuts out the speaker but I'd be happier if
someone could confirm it.

http://cpc.farnell.com/neutrik/nmj6h...switched-full-
nose/dp/AV11183

The schematic for the amp, if you need it, is here

http://www.amparchives.com/Amp%20Arc...matics%20&%20L
ayouts/MG%20Schematics/Marshall%20MG30DFX.pdf

or http://tinyurl.com/46enmwj if the above doesn't work.

TIA

While you are in CPC look in the book for switch cleaner and spray
that down the socket and on the guitar plug, insert it and remove
several times and see it this solves your problem (I am assuming
crackle and hiss here.)

Dave

Crackle and hiss it is indeed Dave so a good suggestion. I'll get a socket
just in case but will try the cleaner as the easiest option first. Thanks.

Since it's a switched socket virtually anything (long enough and will fit in
the hole) will disconnect the speaker (non-conducting of course).
Is your crackle and hiss therefore in the headphones? Give it (and the jack)
a spray.

When I was heavily into guitar amps and could still lift one, I hated
that sort of socket. British amps had rigid pcb's that broke when you
dropped the amp and hopeless jack sockets.
American amps like Fender had cardboard-like bendy boards and sockets
like
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/level5/mo...cpc/256643.xml
which had much better spring tension and any dirt could be seen and
washed away.

I know Neutrik are a good make, but I still hate those plastic enclosed
jack sockets. I have some EchoAudio computer soundcards that use strange
double decker enclosed jack sockets and they are terrible when asked to
cope with the normal variations in the shape of jack plugs.
--
Bill