Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Increasing the width of rebate in a door frame

On 14 Feb, 08:18, Jim K wrote:
On Feb 13, 10:48 pm, Roger Mills wrote:

I am contemplating replacing my front door with a thicker one - which
would require the rebate in the frame to be made wider.

Any clues as to how best to do this in situ?

I would have thought that something involving a router (rather than an
angle grinder! g) might be appropriate - but what would be the best
way to control the width of cut? Maybe a bearing-guided cutter running
against a temporary batten or somesuch? However, a router wouldn't get
very close to the corners. How should these be tackled?

TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger

can you "plant on" extra stripwood on the interior side of the frame
to increase the rebate depth that way?

Jim K

A trimming router might be best as a full-on one can be awkward to
handle in a situation like this. Fix a fence to the frame and use a
straight bit and a guide ring. Finish of the corners with a corner
chisel and/or a bull nose plane.
Lie Nielsen make a nice little side rebate/ block plane which would do
the job.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1274

Paul Mc Cann