Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cash Cash is offline

Default Increasing the width of rebate in a door frame

Tabby wrote:
On Feb 13, 10:48 pm, Roger Mills wrote:
I am contemplating replacing my front door with a thicker one - which
would require the rebate in the frame to be made wider.

Roger,

Replying through Tabby as I have killfiled all Google and Gmail posts to
reduce spam.

How much extra is the door thickness?

Any clues as to how best to do this in situ?

I would have thought that something involving a router (rather than
an angle grinder! g) might be appropriate - but what would be the
best way to control the width of cut? Maybe a bearing-guided cutter
running against a temporary batten or somesuch? However, a router
wouldn't get very close to the corners. How should these be tackled?

TIA.

Personally, I prefer (and have done many) to use a hand rebate plane on the
bulk of the rebate removal, and then use a nosing plane and/or sharp paring
chisel to clean out one the corners.

Can be a bit time consuming and arm-aching, but you have less chance of
doing damage to the frame than using an electric router - assuming that you
even have the space to wield one (unlikely and possibly a little dangerous
in my opinion).

Just lever the timber strip off, take it from there.

Tabby,

The rebate on a front door is usually machined on and *not* formed with a
'planted' door stop.

Cash