Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Washing machine motor won't start, bad triac ?

On 2011-02-11, Jeffrey Angus wrote:

On 2/11/2011 2:32 PM, Andre Majorel wrote:

After reflowing everything on the controller board and reseating
the connectors it still won't work.

The motor of the washing machine spins for a few degrees and
stops. You can get it to spin (slowly) by pulling on the belt
but only in one direction ! Lots of sparks inside the motor.

The brushes are good and the motor seems mechanically fine.
I suspect the triac (ST BTB16 600CI). Plausible ?

does the motor have a start capacitor and a centrifugal
speed switch to disconnect it?

I thought that was mutually exclusive with having brushes.

I didn't know washing machines had brushed motors?

They do have variable speed controllers that do fail, along with
shorting the motor windings with them!

Jamie