Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Fwd: Cling Wrap

I thought this was good enough to share.

Posted by Bob La Londe in the newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking

Sometimes you have to put in a screw in a place that you just can't get
your hand in there and if you drop the screw you are totally hosed. I
was repairing a broken wire in my boat yesterday and ran into one of
those. Of course it's a stainless steel screw so a mag tip wouldn't work.

I couldn't find any of the screw holder screwdrivers I used to have, and
it was late enough I wasn't confident in finding one at any stores that
would still be open. I considered making one, but thought maybe
somebody else would have a better solution. I did a search for DIY
screw holding screwdriver or something like that and found a good tip
that worked perfectly.

Poke the screw through some cling wrap.
Place the screw on the screw driver.
Wrap the cling wrap around the screw driver to hold the screw firmly
against the tip.
Start the screw a couple threads.
Pull back the cling wrap and screwdriver to tear the screw through.
Remove the cling wrap.
Tighten the screw the rest of the way.

Its simple, elegant, works very well, and I wish had thought of it.