Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gunner's computer won't go on-line

On 2011-02-07, Don Foreman wrote:

[ ... given that the OP needed revolvers for specific reasons ... ]

One advantage of revolvers is that they'll shoot any ammo that fits,
while some semiautos can be a bit picky. My Buckmark works great with
CCI hi-velocity but not so well with Golden Bullet. I don't think
I've found any ammo the Ruger Mk III doesn't like, but it's a bit
tricky to strip and clean.

I've not had problems with the Ruger Mk-I (long tapered barrel
target model) and Mk-II. (I own one of each.) It helps to have a loop
of leather to hook the lever which unlocks the whole thing, since that
can be a bit stiff on a new weapon.

Good trigger feel, and quite accurate -- at least as good as my
ability. :-)

But -- from experience with the Mk-I years ago -- don't over-oil
it -- in particular in the bolt where the sliding pin pushes on the
extractor. That excess oil makes the pin act as a dashpot, and launches
both the extractor and sometime the sliding pin too. I went through
several of the extractors and one extra pin before I discovered why I was
having the problems. :-)

It is interesting to download the current manuals for these
older ones, and compare them with what was printed when they were new.
In particular, compare the manual for the Mark-I to what came with mine
back in about 1964. :-) Lots of extra pages of warnings. Not much extra
useful information.

From reading about the Mk-III, I think that I would not like it,
since it appears to be necessary to have an empty magazine in the weapon
to be able to drop the hammer as a necessary first step in stripping.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564