Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT-'Puter prob-long

wrote:
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:55:30 -0800, JR North
wrote:

I installed an ata133 drive-same problem.....
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 20:17:04 -0800, JR North
wrote:

So, I decided to build a new puter for the shop, cuz some new programs
I need won't run on ME, of which I have many loaded HDs. They need XP,
so I got an XP-pro disc and COA on Ebay.
The MB is an Asrock K8NF4G with 1 GB DDR2 333 in 2 512 mb sticks and a
Semperon 3 gig processor. The MB has onboard video. The HD is Seagate
40mb IDE.
Bios can only run the CPU at 1.8 Gig...
When loading XP setup files (second stage, after the initialization
files are loaded into ram), the installation stalls about 10% thru
with a file copy failure screen. Sometimes it runs to 40-60% before it
happens. I thought the CD was funky, so the seller sent me a
replacement free (nice guy). The second disc does the same thing.
If I do the NTFS drive format thru Windows Installation , it says it
can't be done because the HD has faults.
If I format it with my ME boot disc, it formats OK and tests good. I
load a primary DOS partiton and have WI do a quick NTFS format-it goes
ok.
Bios does not see a problem with the memory or HD
Scandisk heavy scan shows no bad clusters on the HD.
I thought maybe the puter was running out of ram, so I reduced the
shared Video memory to 32mb from 128 MB.
Swapped CDRW drive and ide cable, reseated CPU and memory, CPU runs
cool.
Still does the same thing-stalling with file copy failure.
If WI does not format, but leaves the primary ME dos partition
intact, it makes no difference.
The stall seems to happen often on the same files on installation, but
not always. Sometimes it runs to 60% or so, loading the previous
failed files ok, then stalls on a new one. Ejectng/loading the CD on
the file copy failure screen has helped with one or two files, but not
all failures.
Several fruitless hours invested here,,,,, Help?
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Get rid of the crappy AMD processor system and use an Intel based
system. The ASRock Intel boards are pretty decent for a low end board.
Also check your RAM.

and don't use a 10 year old 40GB hard drive.