Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Tire Chains

On Feb 6, 10:15*am, Wes wrote:
wrote:
But studs are only good for one condition, glare ice. *For the other
99% of the time, they tear up the roads and increase stopping
distance. *I can remember going down Iowa secondary roads in winter
where the farmers ran studs all year round. *Two icy troughs on each
side of the road, not so hot for driving. *There's a reason they were
banned except for emergency vehicles. *So not that great an idea. *If
it's that bad out there, DON'T GO!

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...port_R791_3191...

It tends to support what you said.

Wes

Somewhat true, somewhat self-serving, as the use of studs amounts to
blaming the state for failure to maintain safe roads. Skidding
accidents around here happen mostly at low speeds and rarely cause
serious personal injury, thus the statistical comparison isn't valid.
Snowbanks make good soft guardrails.

Icing conditions were then and mostly still are unpredictable, so
schools open and people drive to work expecting either a cold rain or
snow & sleet. The last two ice storms that caused week-long power
outages here were PREDICTED to be rain.

When I rode a motorcycle I had an excellent close view of the road
surface and an incentive to dodge potholes, plus some connections to
state decision-makers such as my father.

The rough ruts that studded tires cause were visible, however many
potholes formed where pavement cracks crossed the higher areas beside
the wheel tracks and may have been started by snowplow blades.

jsw