Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Tire Chains

On Feb 5, 11:47*pm, wrote:
But studs are only good for one condition, glare ice. *For the other
99% of the time, they tear up the roads and increase stopping
distance. *...
Stan

The studded tires I used in NH in the 70's weren't particularly great
in snow and unmpressive on bare wet or dry pavement. The rubber
compound seemed harder than on unstudded snow tires. They were on a
Beetle that I ran on frozen lakes and snowmobile trails.

I really like these:
http://www10.epinions.com/review/Mic...nt_12820123268

On ice they let my AWD CRV accelerate almost like on dry pavement.
Braking is good but I don't push it, and cornering is adequate. They
definitely have better forward than lateral traction due to the siping
pattern. That vehicle understeers in a slide anyway, that plus the
permanent AWD means I can't spin donuts.

They tend to float on deep slush, making the CRV slightly twitchy. I
suspect a less stable vehicle might have trouble there.

jsw