Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Tire Chains

On Feb 5, 5:16*pm, Rich Grise wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"CaveLamb" wrote in message

I've tried everybody within reach, but nobody carries tire chains any
more!

The roads are 4" deep in glare ice, and snow is forecast for the next
couple
of days.

Plus another couple of weeks of Ice Age (global warming)

Any advice on making a set of tire chains?

Yes, don't. *It's a waste of time and money. *IIRC, don't you live in a
place where you need snow chains once every twenty years? *Just wait for
the global warming, and if you get tired of waiting, call AlGore to come
down and breathe some hot air to melt the ice.

But when you do need them, you need them real bad!

So, if you buy a set of chains that will fit your car's tires, and don't
need them for 19 years, but replace the car, can you trade in the old chains
on ones that fit the new car?

Or are they sort of a "one-size-fits-all" kind of thing?

(I've obviously never used chains.)

Thanks,
Rich- Hide quoted text -

Chains are sized for the tire size, if the circumference remains the
same, they can be used on different vehicles. In the Sierras, you
could rent them on one side and return them on the other. If the tire
size changes, you've got some scrap unless you can find another sucker
to buy them. I scrapped several sets from the 50s and 60s when I
cleaned out the grandparents' place. All for old skinny tire sizes
that nobody uses anymore. And if you have rubber chain tighteners,
after 19 years they'd be worthless anyway. Managed to collect a whole
stack of new chain storage bags, too, another somewhat useless item
these days. I use them for storing and handling lead ingots, work
well for that.

Stan