Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gunner's computer won't go on-line

"Hawke" wrote in message
On 2/2/2011 11:56 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:
"Brian wrote in message

Due to his sudden disappearance from RCM, I was wondering about
Gunner's health, so I was in contact and conversed with him earlier
in the evening. He told me his computer won't log-on to the internet,
and he's been busy.

He did give me the old Swartzeneger line...you know...

"I'll be back!"

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

He e-mailed me from a friends house today but the basterd STILL didn't help
me with my quandary. I wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages
between a S&W 617 in 6 or 10 rd.

You need Gummer's help with something like that? What's your problem? The gun's a
big honking revolver that looks like a .357 magnum except it shoots .22 rimfire. I
think it only comes with a ten shot cylinder too. I know people who have this gun.
It's ridiculous. It weighs over 40 ounces and list price for it is over 800 bucks. I
can't imagine why anyone would want one. It's an overpriced brick that only shoots a
.22. What it is for I haven't been about to figure out. There's no advantage to
owning one.

Hawke

It comes with a 6 or 10 shot cylinder in Al or SS cylinder...depending on the dash
number.

I see it as a big advantage to my students to start them with a heavy .22 that has
very little recoil and a revolver is much simpler so they don't get caught up in too
many distracting actions. Also, loading is very simple and straight forward,
especially one round at a time. Then, transition to low-power .38s in the same frame
revolver assures a smooth transition. And, those 617s are extremely accurate which
makes it easy to correct a new shooter, they quickly build confidence with success and
it's a big gun so it's easy for an instructor to maintain control of the gun and the
shooter. I've only been a Certified Instructor for a short time and have a lot to
learn. So far my students have all done well and have all passed to become safe,
competent shooters or CCW carriers and quite a few have booked me as a coach on a
continuing basis. Cost isn't an issue, I'll be buying a few. My first day of
teaching, I netted over $1k and word of mouth has already got me over 15 referrals for
this month plus coaching time. The only student that I had problems with was because
he had a "Bubba-Big-Bore" mentality and thought he knew way more than he did. I broke
him and kind of used him as a bad example. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.