Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Installing door strike plate

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 17:34:26 -0800 (PST), cubby
wrote:

On Feb 4, 6:38*pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:26:19 -0800 (PST), cubby

wrote:
Is there a foolproof way to do this, other than meticulous measuring?
I never seem to get it perfect first time, and then once the screw
holes are made it's difficult to reposition. *I'm sure someone on here
has a cheat.

Do you mean alignment with the latch/bolt?

If so, you can use lip-stick. *Placed on the end of the latch/bolt.
Close the door -- operate the latch/bolt back and forth to mark the
position on the door jamb. From that mark you can figure the location
where the strike plate needs to go. Mark with a pencil and mount the
strike plate.

If not your meaning, I give up G.

Yes, that's what I mean. I'll have to think how lipstick might work.
Seems a little imprecise? 1/16" out is a big deal.

The lip-stick marks the jamb where the latch/bolt will travel into the
jamb. Use the strike plate as a template. Mark with a pencil.

The door knob set strike plate has a small tab used to adjust the
worrisome 1/16". Once adjusted, then do the dead bolt (if you install
one).

Some folks here filter Google posters, so others may not reply.
Hopefully you can get some other ideas if they see your posting.

Good Luck.