Posted to alt.home.repair
cubby cubby is offline

Default Installing door strike plate

On Feb 4, 6:38*pm, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:26:19 -0800 (PST), cubby

wrote:
Is there a foolproof way to do this, other than meticulous measuring?
I never seem to get it perfect first time, and then once the screw
holes are made it's difficult to reposition. *I'm sure someone on here
has a cheat.

Do you mean alignment with the latch/bolt?

If so, you can use lip-stick. *Placed on the end of the latch/bolt.
Close the door -- operate the latch/bolt back and forth to mark the
position on the door jamb. From that mark you can figure the location
where the strike plate needs to go. Mark with a pencil and mount the
strike plate.

If not your meaning, I give up G.

Yes, that's what I mean. I'll have to think how lipstick might work.
Seems a little imprecise? 1/16" out is a big deal.