Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Tire Chains

wrote:
If the chains are breaking, they're probably loose. Like
this:
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/chains.jpg.

I've driven literaly hundreds of miles on chains and NEVER
had one break from running. Had some worn 3/4 of the way
through the link when replaced.

These things have to beTIGHT

As in, if you can force a pry bar between chain and tire,
its too loose.

Potholes and cattleguards, are 'nother story, they will
break a link just looking at the chains

gary

Chains won't fit on most newer cars due to suspension and fender
clearance issues. No market for them anymore. Besides, when a chain
fails, it beats the crap out of your car. I've got studded snows for
the Rabbit diesel-goes anywhere as long as is doesn't high-center.
You can always throw cables on the snows too.

Long ago I worked in a garage and in the winter I was the one that
installed tire chains. The first thing you do is inspect the chains and
replace any worn or broken links. Lay them on the ground behind the car
and then back the car over them so that the link ends of the chain are
just sticking out from under the front of the tire. Pull the chains
over the tire and lock the link.. Let some air out of the tire, move
the vehicle a little and re-tighten the links. Fill the tire back up
with air and put the spreaders on. Check the tightness after a mile of
driving.

or

get a spare set of tires and mount the chains on them, preferably snow
tires.

Also, make sure you have extra weight over the driving axle... a couple
of sand bags and shovel in the trunk, Another trick is to carry a
couple of containers of salt from the food store in the trunk to apply
to the wheels when getting slightly stuck.

John