Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Tire Chains

CaveLamb wrote:
JR North wrote:
Chains won't fit on most newer cars due to suspension and fender
clearance issues. No market for them anymore. Besides, when a chain
fails, it beats the crap out of your car. I've got studded snows for
the Rabbit diesel-goes anywhere as long as is doesn't high-center.
You can always throw cables on the snows too.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

I checked with a couple of tire stores today for studded tires.
Nada...

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 00:38:01 -0600, CaveLamb
wrote:

I've tried everybody within reach, but nobody carries tire chains any
more!

The roads are 4" deep in glare ice, and snow is forecast for the next
couple
of days.

Plus another couple of weeks of Ice Age (global warming)

Any advice on making a set of tire chains?

OK,
If it were me I wouldnt give up yet.
How about another set of wheels ,say steels from a breakers yard?
You could then do something with those, and keep them for future winters,
Or get for the other half say a small 4wd Suzuki vitara, tho this
time of the year everyone wants them for the same reason as you do!!.
As a last resort, leave the truck on the clearway, and walk back and
forth, if its not too far.
Just a few random thoughts.
Probably useless!!
Ted..