Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default rough cut

On Feb 1, 7:58 pm, Swingman wrote:
On 2/1/2011 4:11 PM, RicodJour wrote:

and somehow you seem to feel that's a threat
to you and you want to start whipping out dicks.

And yes, my deck is indeed bigger than yours:

http://picasaweb.google.com/karlcail...Gv1sRgCLDfivea...

Your turn ...

Hi, Karl. Thanks for inviting me to play. This should be fun.
Straight off the bat I should point out that I admit you are a bigger
deck, but I am not quite sure what that thing in those pictures is
supposed to be. It almost looks like a deck, but I can't be quite
sure until it's finished. I guess you posted the link to those
pictures for me so I could help you out with some of the details. No
problem, I have a little free time so I'll work up a punchlist for
you. Don't worry, there's no charge!

I'll run through things in the rough order of the pictures and
indicate similar situations in subsequent photos by placing the
picture number in brackets, like so {1}.

1). Remove temporary wood lattice animal barrier {1 though 6} -
temporary barriers shall be made from orange plastic construction
barrier, not wood lattice. Orange barrier is cheaper, faster and can
be re-used.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...ier-20640.html

2). Remove temporary steps used for access during construction {1}.
Remove concrete rat slab on debris fill at base of temporary steps
{1}.

3). Remove temporary railing {all}. Temporary safety barriers shall
not be made from finish materials (see Note 1).

4). Install temporary bracing to support deck {all}. Remove what
appear to be temporary concrete post blocks {all}. Excavate and place
bottom of permanent concrete piers a minimum of 12" below grade on
undisturbed soil as per IRC 403.1. Base dimensions or piers shall be
determined by local code requirements and soil conditions. Tops of
piers shall be 8" above grade. Reduce concrete pier dimensions above
grade to 1" greater in each direction than base of post size. Install
either cast-in-place (Simpson PBS), or post-installed (Simpson ABA)
post base connectors at all posts. Install Simpson BCS post caps at
all posts. All posts shall be centered on concrete piers to avoid
eccentric loading condition at piers {1,2,3,4,5,15}, and all support
posts shall be laid out symmetrically with equal spacing to avoid
condition shown at deck corner {15}.

5). Install fascia board to match decking at all perimeter framing.
Rabbet bottom interior edge of fascia boards to receive wood lattice.

6). Cut back deck boards to receive trim deck board to conceal
profiled edges {1,3,4,6,15,16,17}, as shown in: http://www.decks.com/article74.aspx
Install blocking as required to support picture frame trim board.
Picture frame trim boards shall overhang fascia board by 3/4".

7). Install composite post covers at posts supporting what appears to
be temporary roof structure.*

8). Investigate cause of apparent crack in foundation wall at top of
deck framing adjacent to temporary steps. {1} Verify that crack is
stable and not growing - reparge foundation wall.

9). Place 6" concrete slab on grade at new step location on 6"
compacted stone base.{1} New slab shall extend to foundation with
1/2" felt expansion joint separation, extend to the full width of the
deck end, and shall provide a lower landing depth equal to the width
of the steps. 6x6 welded wire mesh shall be centered in slab and
shall have 3" concrete coverage in all directions.

10). Install permanent steps with 4 treads and 4 stringers (or provide
composite decking manufacturer's literature confirming allowable span
of 16" or greater, and capable of carrying a 300# concentrated load in
the center of the span of one individual tread board as per code).
{1} Install riser boards to match composite decking, and providing
3/4" nosing. In lieu of riser boards, cut stringers to provide
minimum of 3/4" overhang of tread boards, and notch bottom of
stringers to accept 2x4 tie-board.

11). Verify existing railing posts conform to applicable code
requirements for attachment. Bolting posts only to band joist is not
acceptable without additional reinforcement connectors or blocking.

12). Reinstall deck railings. Joint compound shall not be used to
fill in railing fastener holes. {17} Manufacturer's matching filler or
concealed fasteners shall be utilized. Cut post and post covers to a
height of 2" above top of railing. Reinstall railing caps. Remove
adhesive label at post base. {2}

13). Deck railings shall be consistent throughout. Install matching
top and bottom rail at steps. {1} Baluster position shall maintain
consistent appearance adjoining posts. {11} Corner post at oblique
deck angle does not resolve railing transition. {11} Either two posts
shall be installed, or a built-up post that incorporates the change in
angle shall be installed. Submit drawing for approval.

14). Install lattice at deck perimeter. Lattice direction shall be
consistent and the outermost layer of lathing shall all be angled in
the same direction around the entire perimeter of the deck for
continuity. {3} All lattice panels shall appear continuous and there
shall be no discrepancy in elevation and alignment. {3}

* Temporary roof structure with 2x4 on the flat "beam", column layout,
straightness of stucco work, and electrical items are not covered
under this punchlist. I would be happy to provide a list of
recommended corrective measures at your request.