Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ted frater ted frater is offline

Default Tire Chains

CaveLamb wrote:
I've tried everybody within reach, but nobody carries tire chains any more!

The roads are 4" deep in glare ice, and snow is forecast for the next
couple
of days.

Plus another couple of weeks of Ice Age (global warming)

Any advice on making a set of tire chains?

What are the wheels like?
are they steel or ali?
do they have slots or holes?
between the rim and the center section?
1/4in steel cable wound around the tyre through the slots or holes will
work for a while, tho you will need some cable clamps to secure the
ends. always risky at the best of times.
If it breaks or wears through it might just foul on the brake pipes
and rip them out.
Do you have to travel?

We had ice and heavy snow back in Dec ,here in the UK, and I had a set
of snow chains put by just in case. My better half has to go to houses
as part of her care in the community service so im the chauffer if the
roads are impassable with her car.
then I get pleasure getting about when everyone else is stuck.
Ted
In Dorset
UK.