Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Bad Tenants

"Robert Green" wrote in message
wrote in message
clipped
conventions or other attractions, you may want to consider it as a

vacation
rental. You get a month's mortgage or more for a week's stay. Contact

me
if you need further information.

Steve

We had short-term renters in our beach-area neighborhood in
Florida...great for college kids to gang up and drink for a week. It
was violation of local code, but was not enforced. Great way to ****
off the neighbors.

We're in a college town, one that's made the national news several times
because of the drunken riots kids through after winning a big game. The
landlord next to us got desperate and rented to kids who ended up having a
kegger and lighting a huge bonfire under a dried out tree that caught on
fire requiring 4 firetrucks and 6 police cars to respond at 2AM. That's
what I would like to avoid!

--
Bobby G.

Our agreement is iron clad legally. If there is any illegal activity, we
can tell them to leave. Consult an attorney in your area, and try to have
it classified under the innkeeper statutes. One of the things that
qualifies it as an inn is that regular maid service is provided.

We also ask how many guests will be sleeping overnight, and adjust the price
for the additional cleanup and laundry. If we go over and there is an
obvious party going on, we put the brakes on it, or just keep it within
reason. We have had guests that have thrown parties for all sorts of things
with a lot of people there. You just have to use your discretion, and it is
easy to see the difference between 30 people there for a reunion and 30
people there drinking and puking all over the place. You can easily read
people. And you can easily count how many people are staying overnight.
And if there's a question, you just throw the breaker and go in and see.
Remember, though, they have to ask you in.

If it is important enough to call the police or fire department, we need to
talk about things.

HTH, but check things in YOUR area. Then tapdance within the lines.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.