Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Bad Tenants

On 2/2/2011 5:04 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
On 2/1/2011 3:24 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote

Don't rent to section 8 tenants.

That can buy you a boatload of new problems with the feds.

Steve

Understood, but knowing a place welcomes section 8 drives away other
potential tenants. Most landlords don't TRY to get section 8 tenants
(unless they haven't been burned yet), but if the complex or houses are
starting to show their age, section 8 soon becomes their bread and butter.

Yes, that's true. It's odd, but the recipients of Section 8 welfare are both
tenants and landlords. The landlords couldn't rent without subsidies for
the tenants.

Standard disclaimer- not all section 8 tenants are bad. Some are merely
going through a rough patch, and don't throw wild parties, shack up with
drug dealers, and trash the place. An actual married couple is usually
pretty safe, if both have jobs.

We have a Section 8 rental (more like a Plan 9 from Outer Space rental!) in
our neighborhood that has weekly police visits, monthly social worker visits
and hourly visits from people at 4AM whom I believe are there to buy drugs.
The landlord had the place on the market for 8 months so he was willing to
take anything. Reposession was just a few months away for him.

--
Bobby G.

They have a seldom-used ordinance around here, that after the 3rd drug
or 'disorderly house' bust, the city can padlock the place for a year.
Very questionable constitutionality, but they have done it a few times.
I hear you about the conga-lines of 5-minute visitors. That is why I
moved out of my first apartment in this town. I told the manager why in
no uncertain terms, and that I was tired of seeing cop cars almost every
night. Yes, this is shortly after the complex was opened to section 8.
She said she understood. Place finally got so bad they built a fence and
electric gates around it, and now call themselves a gated community, but
under the fresh siding, the buildings are still pits.

--
aem sends...