Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default Bad Tenants

On 2/2/2011 4:11 PM, Robert Green wrote:
"Jeff wrote in message

stuff snipped

You can't do that. Don't tamper with electric or gas or water. I
like cutting off the cable idea though. Also, non paying tenants will
not move because of no heat or electric, they will call the housing
authority.

Yes, but they should be shooting themselves in the foot if the utility
company itself shut off the gas and power. Then the house might be
condemnable and the authorities would be responsible for getting them out.

Good luck with that. Put it in your lease that they have to maintain
utilities.

Generally tenants that are short on money will put you off and try to
pay the utilities instead. If they don't have money for utilities they
will be hard to get out as they are out of options. Some excel at house
jumping.

That's something I'll need to find out from the local authorities. What
happens if the tenants "go dark?" (or dork, for that matter!)

Don't let your tenants keep getting away with bad behaviour. If it
violates your terms of lease, throw them out sooner than later. Once you
cut them slack they will take advantage. Be nice, but very firm.

I suppose that's true. It's a job that might call for being more of a
hardass than I can be. I was once a renter and temporarily in some bad
financial straits. I tend to be too sympathetic to sob stories.

You don't have to be a hard ass. But the longer you let something slide,
the more trouble you will have. Don't get played. I've seen this happen
over and over. That doesn't mean you won't have trouble, just don't make
it easy or unavoidable.

You may wish to find some company to manage the property for you.
They know the ropes and since you will be far away, double so.

Yes, it certainly might be good to start with a management company for the
first year to see what the potential problems are and to learn the rental
ropes.

Get the best people in you can. Do that by making a nice place to live.

Jeff

--
Bobby G.