Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Bad Tenants

"ransley" wrote in message
On Feb 1, 8:14 am, "Robert Green" wrote:
We've been thinking of renting our current home rather than selling in

this
down market while we rent in some of the places we're thinking of retiring
to. Unfortunately, movies like "Pacific Heights" where a bad tenant who
knows all the tricks of staying in a place without paying rent, haunt us.

Yesterday I saw a 'People's Court' episode where a deadbeat had managed to
stay, rent-free, in a Section 8 rental for three years by using a loophole
that says a tenant can't be evicted from Section 8 housing if there are

code
violations. Every time he was about to get evicted, he just broke

something
to forestall the eviction process, eventually plugging all the sinks with
rags and flooding the place.

How can you drive a bad tenant out from a rental in such situations? How

do
you prevent them from completely trashing the place on their way out? I
know that tenants should be checked out thoroughly beforehand, but even

so,
people can have no record of evil behavior but still turn evil. While I'd
probably NOT rent to any Section 8 tenants, I could easily see someone
losing their job or some other such tragedy and so decide they wanted to
live in my house rent-free for as long as they could get away with it.

I'll entertain all solutions, even extra-legal ones (as long as I can
implement them without getting caught!).

--
Bobby G.

What kind of area is it, what are the people like. I rent apartments
everyday, your area determines what you get. But I demand married
couples, both work, no smoking and refrences. Houses are hard to rent
because of cost.

Working class, small 2 bedroom houses with off-street parking. I agree with
your requirements for prospective tenants. These houses tend to rent
because they are small. The Section 8 rental is getting $2K a month and my
neighbor gets $800 a month for her nicely finished basement with their own
side entrance.

--
Bobby G.