Posted to alt.home.repair
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Bad Tenants

"Robert Green" wrote in message

We've been thinking of renting our current home rather than selling in
this
down market while we rent in some of the places we're thinking of retiring
to. Unfortunately, movies like "Pacific Heights" where a bad tenant who
knows all the tricks of staying in a place without paying rent, haunt us.

Maybe talk to some property management companies and ask about their record
of dealing with problem tenants. Using such a company will leave you with a
smaller return on the property, but if they know what they're doing the
security might be worth it. You could also look at putting the property
under the control of something like a revocable trust or even form a LLC to
own and rent the house, putting some insulation between you and potential
problems.

Or join an outlaw motorcycle gang, and make sure your tenants know it, just
to discourage bad behavior. ;~)