Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cleaning lots of steel, how are you doing it?

On Feb 1, 9:02*pm, Stuart Wheaton wrote:
On 2/1/2011 9:41 PM, Bob AZ wrote:

If you have a quick and effective technique, or a good source for a
machine or a steel supplier (midwest USA) Cincinnati area. * Please tell
me about it.

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart

FWIW

Are you able to buy what you need in larger quantities to make it more
attractive to suppliers? This could lead to a lower or a more
stabilized price.

What lengths do you buy your steel in now?

I am not qualifed to input anything useful about bringing up what is
available to your needs.

Take care
Bob *AZ

Bob *AZ

Bob,

We buy thousands of feet a month, we are on good terms and definitely a
volume buyer. *In the last 10 days we got 200 24 foot sticks of 1x1
alone. *The problem is that the stuff we liked has gone away during the
recession. *I hope somebody buys the patent, or the machines, or
re-starts the line, but right now we can't get it. *As far as our
distributor can tell, it isn't being made, so we are stuck right now
dealing with this. *Price isn't an issue, we just cannot find it.

We had been buying the Kleen Kote for about 10 years, and our volume has
gone up massively during that time. *We used to be able to just run a
solvent rag over the steel to get it clean of mill oil, and we still did
that with the odd sizes that we couldn't get pre-primed, but we are now
looking at huge time and solvent costs.

Everything has to be clean, and has to be painted, the final product
cannot be sent out as raw steel.

Stuart- Hide quoted text -

In relation to the industry, your needs are small.

It is likely why the supply dried up...low demand on a high cost item
for the supplier.

Are you sure that huge time/solvet costs are that bad?

The amount you describe doesn't sound like a lot of steel...hire some
minimum wage folks to wipe it down.

TMT