Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rough cut

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:58:10 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:51:36 -0800, RicodJour wrote:

I also collect antique tools. I use antique tools on a daily basis. I
bought a tool collection from an estate sale - that guy had some eye and
had been collecting for years. So I got several workshops full in one
fell swoop. It was kinda, sorta 'cheating' I guess, but hey, the price
was right! So from that one purchase I have literally hundreds of hand
planes. I have pretty much the complete Stanley catalog, with a few
notable (read expensive) exceptions, tools that would fit right in with
Rob H's quizzes, coach building tools, pretty much any woodworking hand
tool you could think of.

I think I hate you :-). I also have the garage sale habit, but the best
I've ever done was either a 1948 Delta tablesaw or an old Stanley double
spokeshave that was like new.

BTW, there's a story on that spokeshave. I tried to find out how old it
was. Best I could do was pre-1910. So when antiques road show came to
town I took it in. The expert said it was from the 1800s (I forget the
exact year), was the best condition he'd ever seen, and could well have
been part of the first production run of that model. I thanked him for
the info and said I would be using the spokeshave. He looked at me and
said "Don't you dare!" - I think of that each time I even look at the
spokeshave :-).

Shoulda sold it to some rich yuppie sucker and bought an entire
matched set of Satanleys to replace it. Or trade it in for a SawStop
with accessories.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling